Friday, March 17, 2017

Off the Ice (Juniper Falls #1) by Julie Cross

25538649Off the Ice by Julie Cross

All is fair in love and hockey…

Claire O’Connor is back in Juniper Falls, but that doesn’t mean she wants to be. One semester off, that’s what she promised herself. Just long enough to take care of her father and keep the family business—a hockey bar beside the ice rink—afloat. After that, she’s getting the hell out. Again.

Enter Tate Tanley. What happened between them the night before she left town resurfaces the second they lay eyes on each other. But the guy she remembers has been replaced by a total hottie. When Tate is unexpectedly called in to take over for the hockey team’s star goalie, suddenly he’s in the spotlight and on his way to becoming just another egotistical varsity hockey player. And Claire’s sworn off Juniper Falls hockey players for good.

It’s the absolute worst time to fall in love.

For Tate and Claire, hockey isn’t just a game. And they both might not survive a body check to the heart.


Pages: 320
Format: E-Book
Published By: Entangled: Teen
Genre: YA - Contemporary, Romance
Series: Juniper Falls
FTC Disclaimer: I received this book free to read and review, thanks to Julie Cross and Chapter By Chapter.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
This story was ok-good, and I did enjoy it to a point. It was really hard for me to get into the book, it was kind of slow to start off with. One of my biggest things with books is pacing, and the perfect (or as close to perfect) blend of slow-paced scenes and fast-paced scenes, with overall a faster-paced plot, and this book was really on the slow side.

I thought Tate and Claire were great for each other. I liked their relationship in the story. I just felt like overall, their relationship wasn't as huge of a focus as I was expecting it to be. And normally, I'm fine with that. Not usually for contemporary, because if I'm reading a contemporary novel, I want the focus to be on the romance if the synopsis eludes to that. The one issue I had with the relationship between Tate and Claire (even though I did like them together) was the age. So Claire is a year older, but in college, and for me it was hard to really see that kind of relationship forming. I also just felt like there was a lot going on in each of their lives, but I did like to see the relationship develop. I just wanted more.

That being said, it was still an entertaining read. It was definitely a good change from what I have been reading and it was nice to read something different. Again, overall I thought the story was decent. I thought the story was well-written, even though I did feel like a lot was happening. I would recommend this book, and I will definitely be checking out the second book in the series to see who that story will be about, and where this series will take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment